MPV media player, a fork of MPlayer / MPlayer2, has reached the 0.24 release. Here’s how to install it in Ubuntu 16.10, Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 17.04, and their derivatives.
mpv was forked in 2012 from mplayer2, which was forked in 2010 from MPlayer. The motive for the fork was to encourage developer activity by removing unmaintainable code and dropping support for very old systems. As a result, the project had a large influx of contributions.
mpv carries a large amount of changes since it was forked from MPlayer. The most user visible change is the new on-screen-controller (OSC) which is a minimal GUI integrated with mpv to offer basic mouse-controllability. It is intended to make interaction easier for new users and to enable precise and direct seeking.
What’s New in mpv 0.24:
- add experimental C plugin interface
- add experimental stream recording feature
- add prefetching of the next playlist entry
- VA-API now supports 10-bit video formats
- X11 pseudo HiDPI scaling support.
- fix high CPU usage under Wayland
- improved OpenGL video output
and various other changes, see release note for details.
How to install mpv in Ubuntu / Linux Mint:
The new release has been made into PPA repository, available for Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 16.10, Ubuntu 17.04, Linux Mint 18 and their derivatives.
1. Open terminal from app launcher or via Ctrl+Alt+T keys, when it opens, run command to add the PPA:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mc3man/mpv-tests
Type in password (no visual feedback) when it prompts and take a look at the ppa description in the terminal output.
2. If you have a previous release installed on your system, launch Software Updater to upgrade mpv to the new 0.24 release:
Or you can run the following commands to install / upgrade the media player:
sudo apt update && sudo apt install mpv
How to Remove:
To uninstall mpv, simply run following command in terminal:
sudo apt remove mpv && sudo apt autoremove
And you can remove the PPA repository by launching Software & Updates utility and navigating to Other Software tab.
Đăng ký liền tay Nhận Ngay Bài Mới
Cám ơn bạn đã đăng ký !
Lỗi đăng ký !